Before Intravenous(IV) Sedation
- You may not have anything to eat for four hours prior to the appointment. You may have some sips of water if thirsty.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office and escort the patient home in a car or taxi. This person must ensure you are not left alone for four hours following the procedure.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle, operate any machinery or undertake important business matters for12 hours following the sedation.
Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
Try and stop smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, stop smoking 2 weeks prior to surgery and you will have the same outcomes as a non-smoker.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery as this interferes with our monitory equipment.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office, usually you are ok to proceed with sedation.
- Please inform Wayne of any medications you are currently taking especially sleeping drugs, tranquilizers or steroid treatments as these may interact with the drugs using during sedation. Please do not use recreational drugs, party pills or alcohol for the day prior to your appointment.